Saturday, October 29, 2011

ACCEPTED!!

I wouldn't be as excited about this in the US as I am in India.  Perspective can be a crazy gift.

The other night, I was upstairs not doing much of anything...so I decided to go downstairs and see what was happening in the kitchen.  I walked in the kitchen to see Freena and Gayathri cooking dinner.  They were making chapatti (spelling??) which are flat, round circles (or squares) of bread.  They make a huge amount of dough and then rip off little by little and make small balls of dough out of each.

ANYWAY...all of that to say that I walked in and sat down and just started helping.  I didn't ask if I could.  I simply sat down and started tearing off small pieces of dough to roll into chapatti.

There we sat and there we talked about life....about dreams...about the future and about Jesus.

 This is a MONUMENTAL moment in the ministry here!

This is probably the first time we were just accepted...as equals...as friends.  This was the first time that it was no big deal that I was in the kitchen helping or that I was getting my hands dirty for "no reason".  It was incredible!  It was what friends do.

Like I said...I wouldn't be as excited about this at home as I am here (so no bright ideas about making me make all of your chapatti when I get home!!) :)  but this was a great moment.

I don't necessarily LIKE making chapatti.  It's somewhat tedious and a little bit like a craft (and you know how I feel about crafts) but this was NOT about making chapatti.  This was about sitting and talking....with my FRIENDS.

I can't wait to sit with my friends and family back in the US and talk...about life...about dreams...about the future and about Jesus...and I'm so glad I can now do that here.  

1 comment:

  1. Marvelous things happen in the kitchen, my friend. This is a great reminder to enjoy the simple things in life, like enjoying good conversation with good friends. Congrats on getting "in"!

    ReplyDelete