Saturday, October 8, 2011

If I had the chance to tell you...

When I used to work at the radio station, we used to ask owners of local businesses this question: “If you had 100,000 people listening to you, what would you tell them?” The whole point to that question was to have them tell us about their business, what set it apart, why it was the best, etc.

When I first arrived in India, I knew there would be a certain amount of respect and esteem simply because of my heritage but I wasn’t prepared to ask myself that question. It’s not that 100,000 people are listening to me…it’s that 1000 are listening and watching so closely and so intently. As I think about it while I’m typing, I think it’s MORE than the thousand people that are here. It’s just about the entire village. We’ve only been in Semmandakuppam for about 19 days and I have already received two invitations to speak at churches in the area…plus the fact that I have been preaching here every Sunday since we arrived and have done 4 or 5 morning devotions already! It’s crazy to me that the people here think that just because I am an American, I am somehow more interesting to listen to than a local pastor. Why!?!? Rather than lament that question, I’ve been trying my hardest to just accept that that is the way it is and adjust accordingly. I’ve been trying to see this as the most unique opportunity that it is. I have been trying my best to not blow it! I have an incredible opportunity here to tell people things…what will I tell them?

While we’re up on the porch, we usually joke with each other about how ANYTHING we say or do will shape this entire community’s perception of Americans and American culture. HOWEVER, while we talk about social experiments that would be interesting to perform, we rarely stop and think about the truth of that statement! We have a VERY strong, very unique and very captive audience…so again…WHAT do we tell them?

I have been in the position of forcing myself to think about things in new ways. And I have recently decided that there’s only one thing and one theme that I want to come from my unique opportunity. The one thing I want this community to know is not about America, it’s not about American culture…it’s not about my house or the fact that I am fortunate enough to own a car. I will talk about all of those things…but the main theme of my time here…the thing that I would tell the world if they would only listen (and they will here) is that that they are valuable and have a tremendous worth just because they “are”. I would tell them that they mean something to me…and to the people who support this trip and to the people who support this school. But most importantly…the MOST important thing that I will tell them is that God loves them very very much and that they are tremendously important and necessary to Him.

These kids are listening…This community is listening...

What would YOU say?

No comments:

Post a Comment