Saturday, January 7, 2012

The team is coming!!!

Today is a very EXCITING day here at Carmel. The annual mission team comes tomorrow evening and this place is BUZZING with excitement. It is really cool to be here for this experience. The kids are so happy...so excited...so hopeful and just looking forward to an amazing time. I am too! I am excited to see my friends, I am excited to speak fluent English and I'm excited to get a boost for the last 60 or so days! :) It is going to be amazing.

It's about 10:45 on Saturday night here...
I am awake because I am sick. BUMMER!!! I have been healthy for the first 116 days but today (of all days) I have a fever and just feel lousy. It's funny how perspectives change when you're sick.
One of the things that is radically different about India is the fact that the electricity goes off every single day...most of the time for several hours at a time. I would estimate that we have electricity for about 15 hours a day and do not have it for the remainder (but that's a guess...and that's 6 hours on, 3 off, 1 hour on, 2 off, etc).

ANYWAY...it really doesn't bother me all that much except it totally did today while I was sick. In my sickness-induced state, I made a short list of things that are much harder to do in the dark than they are to do in the light....

Here goes.

1) Putting on pajamas. This might not seem like a difficult task but as I am writing this, I am sitting with the "Starter" logo on my shorts facing the opposite way and a tag coming out of the front of my shorts.

2) Finding the cough medicine in the plethora of medicine bottles. It would be nicer if cough medicine was named "Cough medicine"...instead of like Dimetrol or Elixitate or whatever.

3) Remembering which bag you put the dosage cup in the night before. We have a ton of ants here so EVERYTHING has to go in ziploc bags. Well, we don't have a dosage cup Ziploc so it has to live with something else. I couldn't remember which one it was...so I looked through 56 before I found out that it was in with Michelle's razors...of course!

4) Filling said dosage cup to the 2 tsp line. This is simple math that does not work out in my favor...I have a flashlight, a dosage cup, a bottle of cough syrup and sadly only two hands. FYI...flashlights don't taste good. (Although better than the cough syrup I subsequently swallowed)

5) Figuring out if the thing on the floor is a scorpion or one of Zaili's stuffed animals. Seriously, I have not seen a scorpion here...nor do I even know if they are native to India but Zaili's little cat from a McDonald's happy meal looks an awful lot like a scorpion in the dark. Thankfully, it wasn't...and no one was stung.

well, the lights are back on so I gotta go.

No comments:

Post a Comment