Sunday, September 25, 2011

Where to start???

In so many ways, I can't believe that we have only been here 5 days...and in even more ways, it feels like I have been here a lifetime!

There are so many stories to share and I am going to try to only speak for myself primarily as I try (hopeless point) to describe what these past 5 days have been.

The kids are incredible. They are more open and caring and loving than I can describe. They are so ready to love and have such a deep longing and desire to BE loved. They are willing to forgive when we completely butcher their beautiful Indian names with our awkward American tongues. They are quick to smile and hug and always looking for a way to help out.

Backi and Freena are the most humble leaders I have ever come across. They have built this INCREDIBLE ministry and you would barely even know it. They are incredible. Their passion and their conviction are incredibly inspiring. I am a better person having spent just these 5 days with them. Their commitment to their cause is challenging and beautiful.

Some stories:
While I was supervising an exam, some of the teachers thought it would be fun to teach me some Tamil words. While they were doing so, I asked what the Tamil word for "pen" is.
"Penna", the teacher replied. So, I said "Yes...a pen" and she said "Penna...". I was kind of at a loss at what to say next so I said "Yes, like a pen...that you write with..." and she said "Penna! That is the word!!" So...there you go...you learned YOUR first Tamil word! :) We both laughed at our assumption that there was a huge language barrier (which there usually is) when there really wasn't one at all!

While on Skype with my parents one evening, Rachel, Backi and Freena's daughter came up and I motioned her in so that she could say hello to them. She came in and she just kind of smiled and said "very nice"...THEN...my parents waved to her and said "Hello Rachel!!" Her face changed and she became absolutely dumbfounded! She stared at the computer screen and said "THIS IS NOW, UNCLE!?!?!?" I told her that it was now and that they could see her and hear her...it was a "moving picture". She waved and smiled and said "Hello Aunty and Uncle..." and then she turned to me and said "Tell me Uncle, how do you do this magic?" Probably one of the cutest/coolest things I've heard in quite a while.

In Bangalore, Michelle suggested that we buy a cricket set for the hostel. It was a great idea and I am SO GLAD we did it! We brought out the cricket set and the two little boys who saw it first got the widest eyes I have ever seen, shouted as loud as they could something in Tamil and started JUMPING up and down...JUMPING and SCREAMING "BATS!!! BALLS!!! STUMPS!!!" They were beside themselves! They didn't know what else to do! It was like the joy they had in their hearts couldn't possibly be contained IN their bodies and so they had to somehow jump out of them in order to process what was happening. It was AMAZING! It was a microcosm of the reason we all came. Just an absolutely beautiful moment that I will remember and treasure forever.

There's so much more I could tell you...I will stop by saying that this trip has taught me so much already. I love serving these kids. I am excited to see what will happen by the end of six months...but I hate to think about 6 months from now. What a trip...ALREADY!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jason. I am just drinking in your energy! Please please please keep the stories coming! And blow a kiss to all the kids from me.

    Much love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this brings joy to my heart. I love hearing about the children and your days. 6 months will certainly fly by, so enjoy each moment. love, Patty

    ReplyDelete